Trump gives WHO ultimatum over Covid-19 handling
WASHINGTON, US President Donald Trump has sent a letter to the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) threatening to pull US funding permanently over Covid-19.
The letter outlines a 30-day deadline for the body to commit to “substantive improvements” or risk losing millions and US membership altogether.
Addressed to WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, it criticizes stages of the body’s response since December.
Earlier on Monday, Mr. Trump called the UN’s health body a “puppet of China”.Trump gives WHO ultimatum over Covid-19 handling
The president, who faces re-election this year and has himself been criticized for his handling of the pandemic, has blamed China for trying to cover up the outbreak and has accused the WHO of failing to hold Beijing to account.
China has repeatedly denied the allegations. On Tuesday the foreign ministry said Mr. Trump was trying to mislead the public and smear China.
Trump gives WHO ultimatum over Covid-19 handling The US has more than 1.5 million of the world’s 4.8 million confirmed cases of coronavirus so far, with more than 90,000 deaths.
Mr. Trump’s ultimatum also comes at a time of pressure for the WHO.
On Monday Dr. Tedros backed a review of the agency’s handling of the pandemic. He said an independent evaluation would take place “at the earliest appropriate moment”.
Trump published the letter on Twitter on Monday night, following a day of heavy US criticism of the health agency.
Health Secretary Alex Azar spoke at the WHO’s World Health Assembly and accused the organization of letting Covid-19 spin “out of control” at the cost of “many lives” Trump gives WHO ultimatum over Covid-19 handling